JHM Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) Kit for B5 S4 and RS4
RS4 Bumper installation example:
Click to enlarge picture
Introducing the JHM FMIC that fits behind the stock bumper (see installation notes below). We have brought a low cost Front Mount Intercooler Kit to market featuring a core that we at JHM have had REAL WORLD success with. We just wanted to put it in a comprehensive kit with a nice and clean 4 piece piping kit, our popular VIDEO instructions, 35 minutes in length (really needed for all the bumper mods), mounting brackets and an optional but recommended electric fan kit. Like many mods, you have to sacrifice something for performance. You basically have to remove half of the bumper support between the mount brackets, remove your stock fog lights (aftermarket fog lights may fit) and eliminate or relocate your headlight squirters to install this kit. So unless you need your headlight squirters, fog lights or are worried about taking a pole right to the center between the bumper brackets you should be fine.
We ran this exact core in our cars during our record setting K03, K04, and RS6-R quarter mile runs. We went 12.28 @ 114mph, 11.1 @ 130mph, and 10.8 respectively. All with full interior. See the videos below for this Front Mount performing in our B5-S4 on our RS6-R 10.8 second run and featured in our RS6-R Turbo Kit release:
In normal JHM style we only do REAL WORLD testing on our products and this kit is no exception. We don't believe in hype and cool sounding specs, just parts that are known to work. With this front mount kit, we have also found that it out performs any sidemount style intercooler currently on the market. It works great at the drag strip and on the street. However it will work fine for Auto X and short periods of road racing, it may cause overheating if you road race in warm climates above 80f for more than 15 minutes or so. Basically it will work great for 90% of the public. If you need the best sidemounts and don't care to chop up your bumper and want your stock fog lights we sell ER sidemount intercoolers as well. Once again though, JHM has been using this intercooler core on the street with no issues for almost 2 years now.
Information Page with more pictures and video of the install and mods required -->HERE
- JHM FMIC Stainless Steel mounting brackets w all hardware, plugs, zip ties and adjustment shims.
- JHM Exclusive VIDEO instructions. (35 minutes in length and a 19 page printed picture instruction packet as well)
- FMIC Core (Overall Length: 30" - Core Length: 22" - Height: 11" - Thickness: 3" - Inlet: 2.5" - Outlet: 2.5" - Air Flow Rate: less than 700Cubic Feet/Min, Rated to 600-700 Max HP - Working Pressure: 5-40PSI - Pressure Drop: 2-5psi@35psi; 0.2~0.5psi@15psi - Material: 100% Aluminum - Design: Bar and Plate - Construction: Machine Cut and Stamped, Hand Welded - Finish: Polished - Net Weight: 19lbs)
- JHM 4 piece piping kit. Pipes that connect to the Bi-pipe are 2.25" just like the stock or APR bi-pipe. Pipes that connect to the turbo outlets are 2" just like all B5 S4 outlet pipes. (Pipes are fully bent with only one of the 4 pipes having a weld)
- All Couplers and T-bolt style Clamps needed for install. (Kit only reuses the Passenger side lower hose, but eliminates the restrictive Driver's side lower S-hose) Couplers are available in Blue, Red or Black, see dropdown box below.
- JHM Painted on logo Click Here to see a picture of how it looks (most colors available and allow an extra day for us to do this and make sure the paint is dry prior to shipping). See dropdown box below.
- Stock/APR bi-pipe or RS4 bi-pipe connections. BOTH INCLUDED
- Stainless Steel mounting brackets w all hardware, plugs, zip ties and adjustment shims. See dropdown box below.
- Powder Coated Pipes (Black) - see picture above.
- JHM High or medium Flow Electric Fan Kit (EFK). Consider adding our completely redesigned, new version of our EFK. Our new kit features a High-Performance, Ultra-Cool, Hayden Fan and a totally upgraded electrical system. The JHM EFK completely bypasses the stock mechanical fan pulley and fan without the need to get a new belt. This fan kit eliminates the parasitic engine load cause by the stock mechanical fan. We also include a machined block off plate that installs behind the electric fan and fills the void that is left in the timing cover when removing the mechanical fan assembly. You can select the kit from the "Cooling" section of our website.
This kit has been successfully test fitted on several vehicles with stock bumpers, so we know it works. If you have another bumper other than stock JHM cannot guarantee fitment. However, this kit should work with just about any bumper with some or no modifications. Furthermore this install requires patience and metal cutting skills. Due to the fact that the core support, the bumper mounts and many other items are able to be adjusted, plan on needing to fine tune and adjust until you have the kit fitting behind the stock bumper. Also plan on using shims (included with our bracket kit) to get the FMIC core lined up to fit best. If you make your own brackets, finalize them after the bumper and piping kit are completely on. This kit fits even better on cars equipped with intake manifold spacers (available from us, email us for more info).
By installing this kit you understand that you will have to modify your factory bumper support which was installed from the factory for safety. JHM is not responsible for any damage to your vehicle or bodily injury in the event of an accident due to the modifications required to be made to the bumper support in order to install this FMIC Kit. This kit is also recommended for cars with upgraded motor mounts, the 034 snub cage and the JHM DTS mod due to the tight clearances of the piping. With less engine movement from upgraded driveline mounts you are less likely to hurt anything on your car when racing or launching the car.